THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A SEX ADDICTED PERSON QUESTIONNAIRE
- Do you come from a family with cold, distant, critical and rigid parents?
- Did you experience childhood abuse, whether physical, verbal, emotional or sexual?
- Do you come from a family culture or background with addiction (e.g. parents, siblings, relatives with addictions)?
- Do you currently have other addictions, a.k.a. cross-addictions (e.g. alcohol, drugs, food, gaming, gambling, spending, etc.)?
- Does your sexual behaviour leave you confused or confounded, not understanding why you do what you do?
- Do you have a pattern (cycle) to your sexual behaviours, such as preoccupation (contemplation), acting out (climax), shame (cringe) and feeling low (crash), and then fighting being sexual (contra-sexual) which only leads back to preoccupation, etc.?
- Do your sexual behaviours contradict your conscience and your professed values, spiritual and religious beliefs?
- Have you lied to others in order to conceal your sexual behaviour?
- Have you made repeated, but failed, attempts to control (manage), curb (reduce) or cease (stop) these sexual behaviours?
- Has your capacity, or tolerance, for certain sexual behaviours increased and do you need more novel and escalating types of sexual content in order to achieve the same effect?
- Do your sexual behaviours preoccupy and consume your time and energy and thus interfere or conflict with other aspects of your life (e.g. relationships & responsibilities)?
- Have you surrendered, or ceded, other activities and priorities (e.g. hobbies, sleep) in order to spend more time being sexual?
- Do you use your sexual behaviours to calm or cultivate certain moods or emotions?
- Have you continued these behaviours in spite of negative consequences or risks to your health, employment, finances, family, public image and threat of arrest?
- Have you ever done some of the above behaviours consistently for more than 6 months in a row?
- Do you feel your sexual behaviours are leading you, or have led you, into a crisis?
- Are you, or are loved ones, concerned about your sexual behaviour?
- Have you sought counselling for your sexual behaviours in the past and/or do you feel you need to seek counselling for a possible sex addiction today?
If you answered “yes” to 6 or more of the above questions then you may have a sex addiction.
THE STORMY Cs- Characteristics of a Sex Addicted Person
COLD & CRITICAL parents
CULTURE & CROSS-ADDICTION
CONFUSED & CONFOUNDED
CYCLE of CONTEMPLATION, CLIMAX, CRINGE , CRASH & becoming CONTRA-SEXUAL
CONTRADICTING CONSCIENCE & CONCEALING
CAN’T CONTROL, CURB or CEASE
increased CAPACITY & escalating CONTENT
CONSUMING, CONFLICTING & CEDING
CALM & CULTIVATE mood/emotions
CONSISTENT & CONTINUING despite CONSEQUENCES & CRISIS
CONCERN & COUNSELLING